A road trip around Cornwall and Devon in a camper van can be an exciting adventure with plenty of quirky and unusual places to explore. Here’s a suggested itinerary along with some useful tips for first-time camper van hirers:
Day 1: Arrival in Cornwall
- Start your trip by picking up your camper van in a major town or city in Cornwall, like Truro or Newquay.
- Spend your first night at a well-equipped campsite near the coast, such as the Newperran Holiday Park in Newquay.
Day 2: Newquay and Surfing
- Explore Newquay’s vibrant beach town and try your hand at surfing.
- Visit the Blue Reef Aquarium for some marine life discoveries.
Day 3: St. Ives
- Drive to the picturesque town of St. Ives, famous for its artists and stunning beaches.
- Check out the Tate St. Ives art gallery.
- Stay overnight at the St. Ives Bay Holiday Park.
Day 4: Land’s End and Minack Theatre
- Visit Land’s End, the westernmost point of mainland England.
- Continue to the Minack Theatre, an open-air amphitheater carved into the cliffs.
- Camp for the night at a nearby campsite, such as the Trevedra Farm Caravan and Camping Site.
Day 5: St. Michael’s Mount and Penzance
- Explore the tidal island of St. Michael’s Mount.
- Visit the historic town of Penzance and its quirky shops and cafes.
- Stay overnight at a campsite near Penzance.
Day 6: Eden Project
- Drive to the Eden Project, a unique biome attraction showcasing plants from around the world.
- Camp for the night at a campsite near the Eden Project.
Day 7: Fowey and Charlestown
- Explore the charming town of Fowey, known for its narrow streets and literary connections.
- Visit Charlestown and its historic harbor, which often features tall ships.
- Stay overnight at a nearby campsite.
Day 8: Plymouth
- Head to Plymouth and explore its maritime history at the Plymouth Hoe and Mayflower Steps.
- Spend the night at a campsite in Plymouth.
Day 9: Dartmoor National Park
- Drive to Dartmoor National Park for a day of hiking, pony spotting, and taking in the rugged scenery.
- Camp at one of the designated campsites within the park.
Day 10: Exeter
- Visit the historic city of Exeter and its cathedral.
- Return your camper van in the afternoon.
Tips for First-Time Camper Van Hirers:
- Plan your route: Research and plan your route in advance, including campsite reservations if needed.
- Pack essentials: Make sure to bring bedding, kitchen utensils, and camping gear.
- Check van facilities: Familiarize yourself with the camper van’s amenities, including cooking and bathroom facilities.
- Stay organized: Keep your belongings tidy in the small living space.
- Safety first: Follow safety guidelines for camping and driving a camper van.
- Respect the environment: Dispose of waste responsibly and leave no trace.
- Have fun: Embrace the adventure, and don’t be afraid to explore off the beaten path!
Enjoy your camper van road trip through Cornwall and Devon, exploring all the quirky and unusual places along the way!
What better way to explore the South West coast of England.
Contact our Heathrow depot which is due to open March 2024 for more detials
Call us on 01942 778899