The Ribble Valley, located in Lancashire, England, is known for its stunning landscapes, charming villages, and a variety of outdoor activities. Here are some highlights and things to do in and around the Ribble Valley:
- Clitheroe: The market town of Clitheroe is a great place to start your exploration of the Ribble Valley. Visit Clitheroe Castle, which offers fantastic views of the surrounding countryside. The town also has a bustling market and plenty of shops and restaurants.
- Whalley Abbey: Explore the ruins of Whalley Abbey, a Cistercian abbey dating back to the 14th century. The site is picturesque and has a visitor center that provides historical information.
- Forest of Bowland: The Ribble Valley is surrounded by the Forest of Bowland, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It’s a fantastic place for hiking, cycling, and birdwatching. The landscape features rolling hills, picturesque villages, and plenty of wildlife.
- Pendle Hill: This iconic hill is known for its association with the Pendle Witch Trials in the 17th century. It’s a popular spot for hiking and offers panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Ribble Valley Food Trail: The Ribble Valley is renowned for its culinary delights. Follow the Ribble Valley Food Trail to sample local produce, cheeses, ales, and delicious dishes at various pubs and restaurants.
- Gisburn Forest: Located nearby, Gisburn Forest offers mountain biking trails, walking paths, and a peaceful environment for enjoying the outdoors.
- Longridge Fell: Another excellent spot for hiking and taking in scenic views, Longridge Fell is a local favorite.
- Stonyhurst College: Visit Stonyhurst College, a prestigious independent school with a rich history. The college’s museum houses a fascinating collection of artifacts, including the First Folio of Shakespeare’s works.
- The Tolkien Trail: Follow the Tolkien Trail in nearby Hurst Green to explore the countryside that inspired J.R.R. Tolkien when he wrote “The Lord of the Rings.”
- Hesketh Farm Park: If you’re traveling with children, Hesketh Farm Park is a fun place to interact with farm animals and enjoy family-friendly activities.
- Bowland Wild Boar Park: Get up close and personal with animals, including wild boars and deer, at this wildlife park in the Forest of Bowland.
- Ribchester Roman Museum: Located a bit further afield, the Ribchester Roman Museum showcases artifacts from the Roman occupation of the area.
The Ribble Valley is a picturesque and tranquil part of England, perfect for outdoor enthusiasts, history buffs, and food lovers. Whether you’re into hiking, exploring historic sites, or simply enjoying the beautiful countryside, there’s something for everyone to appreciate in this lovely region.
For more details on camper hire from our Blackburn branch
Contact us on 01254 495999
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org